SunTech Medical is seeking a Supply Chain, Operations and RA/QA leader with global experience, strong personal initiative, and proven ability to make a business run efficiently. The Vice President of Operations is a senior strategic position at SunTech Medical, and will report directly to the CEO.
A premier manufacturer of clinical grade blood pressure technology and devices based in the Research Triangle area of Raleigh, NC, SunTech Medical’s purpose is to improve the ability for clinicians and patients to understand vascular health—especially in challenging environments—while creating value for commercial partners, employees, and shareholders. You will join the company at an exciting time of strong growth and a full new product development pipeline, with many undeveloped market opportunities.
As Vice President of Operations, and member of the Executive Board, you will be responsible for leading all aspects of SunTech’s supply chain, manufacturing operations, and RA/QA activities across three international sites. In this key role, you will direct ~150 employees to manufacture high quality medical devices and ensure they meet all applicable global regulations and standards.
You will create and sustain a culture of Lean / Continuous Improvement, identify areas for process improvement to improve SunTech’s profitability, and then direct your teams to execute plans to achieve those improvements. You’ll seek ways to optimize our global manufacturing and inventory footprint and engage key suppliers to improve SunTech’s competitivity.
As a member of the SunTech Executive Board, you will work with your fellow functional area leaders to set the strategic direction for the company.
The successful candidate will demonstrate relevant experience and competence to drive these areas:
- Identify, hire, manage, motivate, develop and recognize supply chain, manufacturing, and RA/QA staff; the team may include various levels of directors, managers, supervisors, group leaders and operators.
- Provide manufacturing direction for cross-functional teams to champion improvements in quality, productivity, service, and cost, and drive manufacturing into a high performing team.
- Champion the active deployment of a Lean roadmap and participate in Lean events, as needed; update knowledge and applications of Lean tools, 6S and Continuous Improvement.
- Spend considerable time on the production floor and with production employees, listening to concerns and opportunities, driving high engagement and employee involvement in pursuit of continuous improvement across all areas.
- Partner with NPD and R&D to ensure readiness and successful integration of new products into the manufacturing sites. Ensure requirements are clearly communicated early in the product lifecycle, and that the plant is doing everything possible to establish manufacturability and process capability prior to launch.
- Partner with Sales, Marketing and Customer Service to understand what’s needed to win and maintain business.
- Proactively engage with fellow Board members to understand the full picture of the business and help set overall strategy.
- Interact at the Halma level to understand best practices across the ~50 companies. Share knowledge and seek to lead key initiatives after making SunTech best in class.
- Establish formal and informal feedback mechanisms and periodically monitor daily execution to ensure compliance with established operational requirements and expectations. Deploy visual management and other tools to track KPIs.
- Know key financial drivers of the business. Identify and collect relevant data needed to analyze a complex problem, situation or issue. Use data and analysis to reduce inventories and COGs, shorten lead times, and improve customer satisfaction.
- Understand cultural and geographic differences and their impact on outcomes. Effectively manage a large team in China with a 12-13 hour time difference.
- Successfully implement a cloud-based ERP and CRM system.
- Manage all aspects of SunTech's worldwide quality management systems and regulatory affairs, ensuring compliance with all applicable regulatory and governmental requirements
- Perform internal and external audits of SunTech’s processes, procedures and key suppliers.
- In conjunction with other departments, assess suitable new suppliers and maintain regular supplier audits.
- Assess acquisition opportunities and integrate acquisitions into SunTech operations.
Candidates should have an advanced degree and at least 10 years’ experience in managing a complex business with significant international scope. There must be a documented track record of creating and implementing Lean / CI programs that have unlocked real value. Demonstrated ability to improve the financial performance of a company by tightly controlling all aspects of supply chain and production is essential.
Significant travel is required. Initially up to 30%, later leveling to about 25% including at least quarterly trips to China. The position is based in Morrisville NC and the candidate is expected to reside locally (relocation package available).
At SunTech, we offer equal opportunities, embrace diversity, and appreciate the contributions of Veterans, who are highly encouraged to apply. We provide enriching and satisfying careers for our employees, work hard, and have fun in the process.