The Director of Product Engineering will be a results oriented, ‘hands-on’ manager capable of managing all engineering related projects along with the ability to plan for the long-term technical requirements of SunTech Medical. The Director of Product Engineering will provide leadership on all relevant aspects of product development, project management, product support, customer support and required product documentation. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring the team delivers reliable, high quality products, and projects are completed on time and on cost. In addition, this role is responsible for all technical aspects of products. This includes developing new products, supporting customers with technical issues, supporting production, and assisting with supplier issues. The Director of PE will be involved in all aspects of R&D and will be expected to interact with other departments as needed. The job will involve management of a project portfolio and responsibility for balancing resource requirements across new product development and sustaining activities as well as interaction and support needs for other parts of the organization outside of R&D and Engineering. Multiple engineers and project managers will report to the Director of Product Engineering requiring experience in managing team dynamics across multiple groups, multiple geographic sites, and external contractors is necessary.
Responsible for all technical aspects of products, including new product development (finished goods and OEM), supporting customers with technical issues, supporting production, and assisting with supplier issues.
- Supervises the day-to-day activities within the product engineering group, establishes priorities within the scope of the team's responsibility, and conducts regular reviews of group projects and activities;
- Builds organizational capability and resiliency by conducting skill gap analysis and cultivating talent pool. Conduct regular performance evaluations for direct reports, assessing career goals and development plans.
- Ensure that projects are appropriately costed, reviewed and approved before development work begins;
- Ensure that product development timelines are properly established and met;
- Liaise frequently with other departments to ensure that cross functional requirements are met;
- Assist in establishing all engineering project priorities;
- Balance resource needs against project portfolio deliverables efficiently and communicate expectations and constraints.
- Find best value/cost method for each development project using internal and/or external resources in order to meet schedules and budgets;
- Assist with processes and procedures to manage and safeguard all corporate Intellectual Property;
- Participate in and/or lead engineering projects as required;
- Identify and manage external resources (including but not limited to design firms, contract engineers, university engineering projects, open innovation) to maximize ideation throughput while minimizing cost;
- Champions changes to current procedures and develops new procedures for the continuous improvement of the engineering process;
- Participate in product strategy and future portfolio planning. Will be a significant innovation driver for current product engineering as well as future product roadmap.
Work is performed in a normal office environment.
Up to 15 % travel, national and international.
Education: BS in Engineering. MS or MBA or additional business training a plus.
Experience: A minimum of 10 or more years relevant practical experience and a progressive career in Engineering, with both project and personnel management experience.
- Proven skills in leadership, initiative, vision, diplomacy, communications (inter-personal and inter-company) and self-motivated.
- Highly skilled project manager and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to communicate and manage expectations at a high level for project and project portfolio deliverables. Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Experience interfacing and managing teams across multiple time zones
- Ability to work under pressure with strict deadlines
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong teamwork skills
- Demonstrated use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipate next steps
- Experience in electronics device development including exposure to hardware design, firmware and software design
- Experience in medical device design and manufacture and familiarity with regulatory environment.